- This event has passed.
The Global Launchpad
May 18 @ 12:45 pm - 5:15 pm
Virginia SBDC’s International Business Development (IBD) Program evaluates startups for export potential and assists startups and existing businesses to compete globally via one-on-one technical assistance and connection to state, national and international resources. Recognizing these specific opportunities and challenges for technology enabled startups, the Virginia SBDC is convening a one-day event in Charlottesville, VA that will bring experts and successful global startups to share their experience entering foreign markets. Specifically, the program will:
- Highlight startups that have had success in global markets.
- Provide compliance training for early stage companies to understand when and how export controls might impact their business.
- Host IP and trademark filing training for startups with a focus on how to mitigate costs and prioritize markets for IP protection.
- Present information on the proper storage and handling of data in foreign markets with a focus on the European Union.
- Introduce the taxpayer-funded resources available to companies for global expansion.
Antwaun Griffin, Head of Socially Responsible Purchasing, Amazon Business
Former Deputy Assistant Secretary, Department of Commerce; Chief of Staff, SBA
Antwaun Griffin joined Amazon Business in May 2022 to lead the AB Bridging Communities program, focused on accelerating socially responsible spending (Small/Local, Diverse, Sustainable) among AB customers, while supporting/growing Sellers from these communities.
Antwaun has an extensive background in small business development in the public and private sectors and is a veteran of political campaigns at the National, State, and Local levels. Prior to joining Amazon, Antwaun served as Chief of Staff at the U.S. Small Business Administration – a cabinet level federal agency. In this role, Antwaun managed the agency’s budget and led the SBA response to the COVID pandemic, which was focused on supply chain resiliency and strengthening America’s small business supplier base.
**Purchasing multiple tickets for your organization? Add 1 General Admission ticket at $40 and then apply the “GlobalPass” (case sensitive) promo code to unlock $26 discounted tickets for others on your team! Contact Shira Goldeen at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.**
- Remarks from Antwaun Griffin, Head of Socially Responsible Purchasing, Amazon Business
- Securing Intellectual Property Rights in Foreign Markets
- Top Regulatory Compliance Issues for STEM Exporters
- Proper Data Handling Under GDPR
- Ample opportunities for networking with panelists, resource providers, and the startup community, culminating with a closing reception featuring hors d’oeuvres and Virginia craft beverages